Tokyo, Japan - こんにちは

Friday, April 4, 2014

I tricked the company into letting me go to Asia... there was no way I wasn't going to take the opportunity to experience some it while I was out there.  Since Jolene and I have a beach trip coming up soon this year it didn't seem right to go to Boracay.  I ended up choosing Tokyo for a long weekend in the middle of my business trip.














While out there I went to the Tokyo Tower, attended a tea ceremony, cruised the Sumida river, toured the Asakusa Kannon Temple, and walked the Tsukiji Fish Market.  Most of this was with the help of a local tour group but I did get out on the town by myself as well.

I wandered through the Shinjuku area where I was staying, walked the outside grounds of the Imperial Palace, and even accidentally had lunch at a sushi restaurant on the 51st floor of Sumotomi Tower.

While it was fun to find a bus to take me downtown through a brief but quick snowstorm it was definitely not nearly as intense as figuring out the Tokyo subway system.  It turns out that I do not speak Japanese at all.  Taking it back and forth to tour the city really consisted of me hitting a bunch of random buttons on a ticket machine, feeding it money, and then running from train to train until I heard a stop that sounded familiar.  The good news is I always eventually found my final destination.

I definitely enjoyed Tokyo.  All the activities I did called out the fascinating history and culture of the Japanese people that I won't soon forget.







 
さようなら - Mike



0 comments:

Post a Comment